decorative header image

Teacher Credentialing

Substitute Teaching Permit

For those interested in obtaining a substitute permit, our office can submit an online recommendation through the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). This process will expedite the issuance of a substitute permit and takes the place of a paper application. For information on how our office can assist you in this process, click here:

Teaching Credential Information

CTC Document Renewal

Induction Program

The Induction Program provides situated learning in a state-approved induction program that fulfills requirements to obtain a California Clear Credential. Nevada County teachers clear their Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Education Specialist credentials through a partnership with Butte County Office of Education’s Teacher Induction Program.

Partnerships and Discounts

Educational discounts for employees, students, and retirees.


What is an emergency 30-day substitute teaching permit?

An Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-12 inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults. The holder may serve as a substitute for no more than 30 days (60 days for the 21-22 school year) for any one teacher during the school year, except in a special education classroom, where the holder may serve for no more than 20 days (60 days for the 21-22 school year) for any one teacher during the school year. This permit is valid for one year and is renewable.

What if my California teaching credential or emergency 30-day substitute teaching permit has expired?

You can renew your credential or permit online at CTC: The cost will be $102.50 and will be paid online directly to CTC.  Normal processing times are 7-10 business days but can take as few as 5.

Do I need to get fingerprinted through CTC if my credential or permit has expired?

You only need to get fingerprinted again if your credential or permit has been expired more than 18 months.  For example, your permit expired 2/1/18. You would have needed to renew it before 8/1/19 to avoid getting fingerprinted through the CTC again.  If your document has been expired for more than 18 months, print this form  and take to any CA live scan agency (in Nevada County, we recommend the UPS Store on Bank Street, G.V.) and pay the fee. CTC will receive the results electronically. As soon as you get fingerprinted you can click on the link above to renew your permit.  

For questions, please contact:

Marea Filmer
Human Resources Analyst
Phone: (530) 478-6400 ext. 2027
Email: Refer to Staff Directory