For Students and Families


Help is Available for Families in Nevada County

Cheerful parents assisting children in homeworkThe McKinney-Vento Education of Homeless Children and Youth Assistance Act provides school-aged youth experiencing homelessness with additional support and services to ensure that all students have equal access to educational opportunities. Under the act, each site is required by law to have a liaison who coordinates services related to the act. Families who are experiencing homelessness should reach out to their designated McKinney-Vento site liaison to inquire about services and programs that their child may qualify for. Services that your school may be able to provide include:

  • Assistance with gathering educational records from the last school attended
  • Referrals to community resources
  • Enrollment in Free and Reduced Lunch programs
  • Financial assistance for educational needs

Contact your site liaison for more information and assistance with enrolling in these programs.

Know Your Rights

Students who are experiencing homelessness are also granted special rights under the act. As a homeless youth, you have the right to:

  • SCHOOL STABILITY- To remain enrolled in, and be transported to a student’s School of Origin when feasible, even if a student moves outside of the district. (‘School of Origin’ means the school last attended when permanently housed, or the school in which the child or youth was last enrolled).
  • IMMEDIATE ENROLLMENT-To be enrolled immediately (even without medical or school records) in the neighborhood school.
  • FOOD PROVISION-To receive FREE breakfast and/or lunch in schools that serve both.
  • ASSISTANCE WITH BARRIERS- To have barriers addressed so that they can participate in athletics, field trips, and afterschool activities (this could include having certain school fees waived). Parents or     guardians should contact school staff for help.
  • ACADEMIC SUPPORT- To ask for academic support if a student is struggling with classwork. Parents or guardians should contact school staff for assistance.
  • TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE– To ask for transportation support if a student is at risk of missing school. Parents or guardians should contact school staff for assistance. Homeless Liaisons can work with  parents to problem-solve transportation challenges.
  • DISPUTE RESOLUTION-To use the school district’s Dispute Resolution Process to appeal a school’s decision when there is a disagreement about school selection or enrollment.

Helpful Links and Information

211 Nevada County- Referrals to Community Resources

Guide to Rights for Homeless Youth

Information for Parents