All candidates interested in substitute teaching must hold an appropriate credential/permit:
* A California teaching credential based on a bachelor’s degree and student teaching OR
* An Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit which has the minimum requirements of:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree or higher; and
- Passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
For information on how to obtain an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit through the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC), click the following link to download the CTC Leaflet, or visit the CTC website at www.ctc.ca.gov.
Application Process for 2016-17 School Year
1. The Nevada County Superintendent of Schools substitute pool is currently closed. If you are interested in being placed on the Substitute Waiting List, you will be notified as soon as the hiring pool is open. Thank you for your interest in educating our county’s youth.
Do not proceed to Step 2 until you have received notification from NCSOS that you have been selected.
2. If selected to be a substitute teacher, you will be asked to:
- Pass a Criminal Background Check
- For Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit holders only:
Complete STEDI.org‘s online Substitute Teacher Training Program ($39.95 fee) with a passing SubAssessment composite score of 85% or better OR provide documentation of previous participation in STEDI.org.
- Complete an employment packet
- Provide documentation of a negative TB test within the last four years (TB Testing Locations)
- Complete the California Department of Social Services’ online Mandated Child Abuse Reporting Educators Training (free) with a passing score of 80% or better
- Attend an orientation to review the employment paperwork
3. After successfully completing the process, you will be added to the county-wide substitute list.
Participation in Professional Development opportunities is highly encouraged and recommended for all substitute teachers. Please see the links below to find resources available to you.
Links and Other Resources: